[vox-tech] hdparm for scsi emulated CDROM drives?

Michael Wenk vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 14 May 2003 15:18:20 -0700

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 01:24 pm, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2003, Michael Wenk wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 May 2003 11:00 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > in addition, debian allows you to run a *very* stable operating system,
> > > an up to date system, or a truly bleeding edge system, depending on
> > > what you want to set up.  you can even mix and match all three, so you
> > > can, for instance, run a very rock solid system but have truly bleeding
> > > edge copies of the mesa and sdl libraries, for instance.
> >
> > Problem with debian is its the debian way or a broken system.  Which is
> > not the way I want to go.
>
> I don't think I'll be mixing-and-matching stable and testing and
> whatnot.  I think the way I wanna maintain my system is:
>
>    1. Run stable
>
>    2. If I want a bleeding-edge version of a software, compile it
>       manually and stick it in /usr/local.
>
>    3. When new stable gets released, remove the source-compiled version
>       of the software, if the version I want is in the new stable.
>
> One of the problems with Mandrake or RedHat has been that I wasn't running
> latest-enough version of libraries to source-compile programs if I wanted
> a bleeding-edge version of programs (or wanted a program not on the CD).
> To be running latest enough versions of things, I had to upgrade
> everything (download ISO, burn, reboot, install, cross fingers and hope it
> didn't break anything), and also cross fingers that the packages I need
> are on the CD.  Usually I'd just try to get the latest RPM, packaged by
> some third-party packager not compatible with future version of the
> distro, which wouldn't install because I didn't have another necessary
> RPM, or wouldn't install because another RPM installed on the system
> depends on the older version of the RPM I'm trying to upgrade.  I'm sure
> I'll have some upgrade issues with Debian, too, but I'll run into much
> less trouble than those I had with RedHat or Mandrake, I think.
>
> -Mark

I actually started messing with gentoo last week and so far I really like it.
I havent switched my server over to it, and probably won't for a little while
at least.  The problem I have with debian is partly cpled with the fact that
I don't know it as well as I know other OSes.  Take HP-UX or Solaris for
example.  If I install perl on those, it doesn't break things like
swinstall(hp-ux) or pkgadd(solaris), however on debian, I installed perl 5.8
on debian and it trashed very important things like apt and dselect.  What I
want from an OS is a typical way to install the system and then get the hell
out of my way(and be able to handle gracefully what I do, even if it means it
just detects the change and throws up its proverbial hands and says "hey, I
can't work with this, cya")   Slackware used to do this great.  Mandrake does
it well now.  and so far with gentoo, it provides me an easy way to get
software I want that is up to date, and it will get the heck out of my
way(least so far.)

Mike

--
wenk@praxis.homedns.org