[vox-tech] hdparm for scsi emulated CDROM drives?

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 14 May 2003 00:28:21 -0700 (PDT)

So as I mentioned before, I've moved to Debian.  Now I'm configuring my
system like crazy so I get some good performance out of it.  I'm very
pleased so far; perhaps it's the faster hardware or Debian, I don't know,
but I'm liking the performance I'm getting.

So anyway, I gotta be able to burn CDs now, right?  So I decided to put my
CD and DVD drives in SCSI emulation mode so I can burn and read CDs.
After getting that working, I ran hdparm on /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1 to
enable DMA, but it's refusing to even query these SCSI-emulated IDE
devices, let alone let me enable DMAs on them.

So does ide-scsi automatically enable DMA?  Is there a way to enable DMA
at all?  Do I just live with DMA disabled?

BTW, getting the kernel to enable DMA automatically can't work because my
mobo isn't even remotely listed.  I got a NVIDIA nForce motherboard.
Heh...  GeForce4 MX built into the system is a nice feeling, though.
(Although the videocard chipset seems to be on the PCI bus, not on the AGP
bus... who cares as long as I get good speed, right? it's not like I'm a
game hog anyway.)

Thanks!

-Mark

PS: If I weren't a programmer I'd have given up using Debian on day 1.
I'm sooo glad I can program... and have been reading almost all posts
regarding Debian on vox :)  On the downside, Debian's got a long way to go
before it's friendly for a regular Joe.  But much better in terms of
quality of what I ended up with in the end compared with RedHat or
Mandrake, though.

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/