[vox-tech] debian policy on /etc/rc.boot

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 13 May 2003 17:33:09 -0400

--f8lmXUvqnCdFQPaI

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 11:42:27AM -0700, Ted Deppner wrote:
> A secondary question is where does /etc/rc.boot fit in as per the DFS
> assuming the above is fact.
>=20
>=20
> In order to cut down on wrangling and useless back and forth chatter, I
> did a few quick searches...
[...]
> Whilst searching, I did find this, which supports the use of /etc/rc.boot
> for system boot scripts:
>=20
> - http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-customizing.en.html#s-b=
ooting
>   - "10.5 Every distribution seems to have a different boot-up method.
>     Tell me about Debian's."
>     - specifically mentions rc.boot as "usually reserved for system
>       administrator use, and using them in packages is deprecated"

Ted,

  An impressive amount of research.

  I generally tell people about /etc/rc.boot, but say that /etc/init.d
with symlinks from the run level is more correct.

  I had heard at that /etc/rc.boot is deprecated and would be removed at
some point in the future (reference from policy below)... but with that
said *I* still use rc.boot for my own quick and simple startup tasks.

  My stance is when it breaks I'll figure out what the new system is and
use that instead.  :)

/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.txt.gz
=3D=3D=3D=3D
10.3. System run levels and `init.d' scripts

[...]
10.3.4. Boot-time initialization

     There used to be another directory, `/etc/rc.boot', which contained
     scripts which were run once per machine boot.  This has been
     deprecated in favour of links from `/etc/rcS.d' to files in
     `/etc/init.d' as described in Section 10.3.1, `Introduction'.
     Packages must not place files in `/etc/rc.boot'.
=3D=3D=3D=3D

--=20

--f8lmXUvqnCdFQPaI

--f8lmXUvqnCdFQPaI--