[vox-tech] debian way to set hdparm and xset on start

Ted Deppner vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 13 May 2003 11:42:27 -0700

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 09:45:42AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Tue 13 May 03,  9:33 AM, Ted Deppner <ted@psyber.com> opined:
> > On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 09:15:28AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > if you want to be anal about the debian filesystem standard, then you
> > > should place your script in /usr/local/etc/init.d and then make the
> > > appropriate links in /etc/rcX.d.
> >
> > I've never heard of this as a debian standard... can you point this out
> > in the docs?
>
> why not look for it yourself?

Well, uh, because you stated it as fact and I figured you new where it
was.  When I checked my system and found /usr/local/etc not present at all
I questioned your assertion.  Can you back it up from the debian.org
documentation?

> in short, /usr/local is protected, for use by the administrator.

Yes, that's widely accepted fact, that wasn't the context of the question.

The key question is, does the "debian filesystem standard" recommend and
prefer /usr/local/etc/init.d being linked into /etc/rcN.d as you posited?

A secondary question is where does /etc/rc.boot fit in as per the DFS
assuming the above is fact.

In order to cut down on wrangling and useless back and forth chatter, I
did a few quick searches...

- http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-customizing.en.html#s-custombootscripts
  - "10.6 It looks as if Debian does not use rc.local to customize the
    boot process; what facilities are provided?"
    - states "custom boot scripts" should go in /etc/init.d/ and then get
      linked using update-rc.d.

- http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-4.5.html
  - "4.5 /usr/local : Local hierarchy"
    - does not mention /usr/local/etc at all.

- http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-compat.en.html#s-non-debian-programs
  - "3.8 How should I install a non-Debian program?"
    - quick reference to /usr/local/etc, but only in the context of
      configuration files for an alien package or program, not for local
      system scripts.
    - it follows up with the obvious "you should consider making a Debian
      package of it".

- google search for "/usr/local/etc/init.d debian"
  - returned 4 results
    - 1: a proposal back in 1999 on the debian-policy list to use
      /usr/local/etc/init.d, which was roundly shot down.
    - 2: a software package "speedtouchconf" which installs some things
      into /usr/local/etc/init.d, and then gives debian instructions using
      update-rc.d -- docs appears buggy given the context though.  Not
      debian specific.
    - 3: install doc for UnixODBC.pm menions /usr/local/etc/init.d as a
      possible location for on-boot scripts.  Not debian specific.
    - 4: a proposal back in 2000 to use /usr/local/etc/init.d, which
      apparently found no traction.  Context does not appear to be debian
      specific.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything to support your assertions.
That task remains in your court.

Whilst searching, I did find this, which supports the use of /etc/rc.boot
for system boot scripts:

- http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-customizing.en.html#s-booting
  - "10.5 Every distribution seems to have a different boot-up method.
    Tell me about Debian's."
    - specifically mentions rc.boot as "usually reserved for system
      administrator use, and using them in packages is deprecated"

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.deppner.us/