[vox-tech] debian way to set hdparm and xset on start

Mon, 12 May 2003 09:15:28 -0700

mark,

there are two ways to install your own init scripts.  you can write your
own bona-fide startup script and place it in /etc/init.d.  i highly
recommend doing this once, so you know how to do it and what an init
script looks like.   after placing your script in /etc/init.d, you can
make the appropriate links in /etc/rcX.d.  you just need to decide how
early in the bootup process you want to run it.  i'd do it early.

if you want to be anal about the debian filesystem standard, then you
should place your script in /usr/local/etc/init.d and then make the
appropriate links in /etc/rcX.d.  this has the benefit that if you ever
have to reinstall debian for any reason, the install won't blow away
your script unless you tell debian to initialize the partition
containing /usr/local during the reinstall process.

the quick and dirty method is to place your script in /etc/rc.boot.

congrats on the install.  you always seemed more of debian kind of
person than a mandrake person.  but poor mandrake...

when lugod first started, it was mostly a redhat group.  then i
installed suse and many people followed suit and it became a suse group.
then mandrake got really popular and we became, largely, a mandrake
group.  then mike simons started the debian revolution...  :)

we might want to consider calling ourselves "the debian mutt pgp group
of davis"...   ;-)

pete

On Mon 12 May 03,  2:51 AM, Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org> opined: