[vox-tech] NFS Mount Points

Jim Angstadt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 11 May 2003 19:52:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- Charles Polisher <cpolish@attbi.com> wrote:
> Jim Angstadt wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > [ this is a re-transmit.  I burped on the
> first
> > one. sorry of any inconvenience. ]
> >
> > I've been learning nfs on my home network.
> >
> > A Red Hat 9.0 box exports /home/ja just fine.
>  RH
> > 8.0 and 7.2 boxes can mount the export.  All
> dirs
> > under /home/ja, and the files within the
> > subordinate dirs looks fine.
> >
> > But, I'm having problems with the RH 8 and RH
> 7.2
> > desktops under X.  I think the mounting has
> > overlayed all the dot files and produced
> strange
> > results.
> >
> > I could export each sub-dir and then mount
> each
> > sub-dir so that I don't step on the dot
> files.  I
> > might not need to do that for all sub-dirs,
> so
> > maybe just a few, like /home/ja/bin,
> > /home/ja/temp, /home/ja/etc, and so forth.
> >
> > Is this the way that most people do it?  Is
> there
> > a better way?
>
> That's precisely what is happening, and your
> solution is
> the way to go.
>
> Mounting a directory 'hides' the directory it
> mounts on.
> Usually, the mount point is an empty directory
> so the hiding
> isn't obvious -- since there are no files.
>
> Mounting a level below, such as /home/ja/bin
> does an end-run
> around the problem, unless you've already got a
> /home/ja/bin, in
> which case the same problem happens, just one
> level down. Could
> maybe do:  /mnt/nfs/hostname1,
> /mnt/nfs/hostname2, etc., and then
> in your home dir, symbolic links, "ln -s
> /mnt/nfs/hostname1 foo"
> now when you "cd /home/ja/foo" your files are
> all there.

Hi Charles,

I've already consolidated my bin files on the rh
9 box.  Also, have re-written a few to use
arguments that are pertinent to the box I'm on.

> My preference for the 'dot files': I keep _one_
> home dir with my
> custom, jazzed-up .bashrc, .bash_profile,
> Xcolors,
> .Xdefaults,.Xmodmap, & so on and so forth...
> then link my other
> home dirs' dot-files into that 'master' set.

This sounds interesting.  How do you deal with
different version of nautilus, for example, or
other desktop apps.  Is it trial-and-error to see
which ones can share the same dot files?

Or do you have the same apps on each host?

This seems like the way for me to go.

Thanks,
Jim