[vox-tech] ATI Radeon

Fri, 9 May 2003 06:38:53 -0700

don't have any answers for you, sorry.  but i do have some questions!
:)

On Fri 09 May 03,  7:24 PM, D & E Radel <radel@inet.net.nz> opined:
> Hi guys.
>
> Has anyone got the proprietary ATI Radeon drivers to work with Debian
> 'Sid'? If so, where can the definitive guide be found.

my understanding is that the 3rd generation radeons (7500, 8000, 9500,
etc) had proprietary drivers written by ATI and free drivers written by
xfree86.

didn't the weather channel, or something like that, fund development of
the free 9500 driver?

if this is right, just out of curiosity, why are you using the
proprietary drivers?

> Also, my nforce2 motherboard has no force2 agpgart kernel driver as
> yet.

i thought your motherboard is something like a month old.  i doubt there
would be drivers right now.  when i first bought my athlon 1.4 (which
btw was the fastest x86 CPU on earth for 2 weeks when i bought it) i had
to wait about a month before i had motherboard agpgart support.

i hope they come out with a dual CPU version of that board.

> NVidia say that next driver release will support it. My kernel
> has generic agp-gart enabled - I think. Will this kill my efforts with
> the Radeon?

of course i don't know the answer to this question, but if i had to take
a good solid guess, i'd say the answer would be definitely "no".  are
you really going to put ATI on that motherboard?  that's too funny.  :)

> The standard XF4.2 Radeon driver works fine, but no 3D
> accel. 3D apps still work, just dang slow and crappy looking.

to be expected without hardware support.

> Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom.  D.Radel. <><

these were more like briquettes... sorry.  :(

pete