[vox-tech] fwd: Debian install on 486

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 8 May 2003 20:44:30 -0700

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

> From: stoat42@fastmail.fm
> To: "Henry House" <hajhouse@hajhouse.org>
> Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 13:49:03 -0800
>=20
> Henry:
> I tried to subscribe to one or another of the LUGOD email lists a few
> months ago but it didn't work so I forgot about it. Now, I sent the
> following message to the tech support list and it said it would get
> posted pending approval as I am not a member (of the list I guess,
> because the address I sent it from is the same that is listed for me on
> the members page). If you could help me with my problem and maybe help me
> get the issues with the list worked out I would appreciate it. Here is
> what I sent:

The list on the members page is independant of the mailing lists. So you ne=
ed
to subscribe again if you want to use the lists. See
[http://lugod.org/mailinglists].

> "List:
> I tried to install Debian last night on my 486. Since it has no bootable
> CD drive I used the rescue floppy image and the root floppy image to get
> into the installation program. I got through the part about creating and
> initializing the root and swap partitions. When I chose "Install Kernel
> and System Modules" or something like that it said my CD had installable
> packages so I could do that or do it manually. I chose the first option
> and then it said it was getting a "Root Floppy Image" from disk or
> something. After a little bit it said "Floppy Error" and the attempt to
> extract Root Floppy Image from mounted medium failed, or something like
> that. I tried the whole thing again but with the last part about choosing
> packages done manually and it does the same thing. The result is that I
> can't install the kernel. Please help. Thanks.

I suspect that the either your floppy images or your CD are defective, but =
it
is impossible to be sure from the vague description above. Exact error
messages are essential. When duplicating floppies, be sure to do a full
format on them (not a quick format) before writing the disk images onto the
floppies. Good luck!

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=