[vox-tech] apt-get question - other branches

Mon, 5 May 2003 13:27:37 -0700

begin Matt Roper <matt@mattrope.com>
> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 12:39:00PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > >   You would need unstable in your sources list and a pin for testing to
> > > be the default release.  If you don't have -t the dependencies of sox
> > > will all stay with testing, which will often prevent it from installing.
> > >
> > >   I don't have time to do a write up right now.
> >
> > that's ok.  i'll RTFM about the -t option.
> >
> > but i tried searching for "pin" in the apt, apt-get, dpkg, dpkg-deb and
> > deb-control man pages.  can't find any reference to it (except for one
> > reference in man apt-get which doesn't say much).
> >
> > can you point me to a man of info page about pins?
>
> To pin packages to a distribution, you have to add settings to
> /etc/apt/preferences.  I've never actually done this since I run
> unstable, but I've seen people post examples before.  There doesn't seem
> to be a whole lot of documentation on the procedure, but you can find
> some info on google; the following site seems like an okay intro:
>
>     http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

it's a bit outdated, but is an _excellent_ tutorial.  thanks for posting
this!

and i've been able to locate all the information that's outdated since
that page was written.

thanks matt!!!

pete