[vox-tech] cut and paste with opera

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 4 May 2003 09:56:55 -0700

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

Just checking this out, I still don't think that QT and Gnome get it=20
right.

Select/middle-click copying works correctly, but C-c copying from=20
galeon can only paste (C-y) correctly in Emacs21 but not paste (C-v) in=20
Kword.

(C-c) copying from Kword can paste (C-y) correctly in emacs21, but =20
copying (M-w) from emacs21 cannot paste (C-v) correctly in Kword

Gnome has problems with their copy (select)/paste (middle-click). When=20
I selected text in Balsa and pasted it into emacs, it worked correctly,=20
but when I then clicked in the balsa window (to unselect all text), the=20
PRIMARY clipboard reverted to what it held before I selected the text=20
in Balsa. (Gedit had a similar problem in place of balsa, but Gaim did=20
not have a similar problem filling that role)

On 2003.05.03 03:19, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> we were just talking about this on vox-tech.
>=20
> note that there really was a bug in qt awhile ago which made cut and
> paste funky between qt and gtk applications, but it got fixed a long
> time ago.
>=20
> pete
>=20
> ----- Forwarded message from Espen Sand <espen@opera.com> -----
>=20
> From: Espen Sand <espen@opera.com>
> To: opera-linux@opera.com
> Subject: Re: [Opera-linux] Copy/cut & paste with Opera (and QT/KDE
> apps)
> Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 18:59:17 +0200
>=20
> On Saturday 03 May 2003 17:43, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> > I guess this isn't directly related to Opera, but can someone
> explain
> > why my KDE/QT and subsequently Opera setup works differently than
> > "normal", X-Windows behavior being normal.
> >
> > What I mean is, if I highlight text, that normally "copies" it to
> the
> > buffer (clipboard in the Windows world). With Opera and other QT/KDE
> > apps, I can only do this by highlighting the text and then selecting
> > "Copy", be it the copy command in the "Edit" menu or the right-click
> > menu. When it's time to paste the text, the middle-button action
> doesn't
> > work either. I have to choose "Paste" from a menu.
> >
> > Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V do work for copying and pasting, but I'm spoiled
> by
> > the mouse only method. I even catch myself doing it that way in
> Windows.
> >
>=20
> There are two main clipboards 1) The mouse selection clicpboard and
> 2) The "regular" clipboard
>=20
> 1) This is the clipboard that text is automatically copied to when you
> select
> text with the mouse. You can paste from this clipboard by mid-clicking
>=20
> in another application or edit fields in Opera.
>=20
> 2) This is the clipboard that you copy text to by doing Ctrl+C or
> using
> the "Copy" entry in the menu. You can paste from this buffer by doing
> Ctrl+V or "Paste" from the menu.
>=20
> The problem is that some programs do not follow this rule (Opera does
> -
> try the different modes internally in opera). One has tried
> to standardize the way I described above. Take a look at the link
> below
>=20
> http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/clipboards.txt
> PRIMARY is the same as 1 and CLIPBOARD is the same as 2
>=20
> It means that text selected with the mouse shall only be pasted
> another
> [...]

--=20
Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C  941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu
--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx--