[vox-tech] my computer has no name

Sat, 3 May 2003 23:40:43 -0700

troy,

thank you!  yes, hostname.sh must be it.   but now i'm totally confused:

   # The init script comes from sysvinit.
   satan# dpkg -S hostname.sh
   sysvinit: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh

   # The init script is missing
   satan# ls -l /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
   ls: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh: No such file or directory

   # So reinstall it
   satan# apt-get install --reinstall sysvinit
   Need to get 0B/111kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
   Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
   Preparing to replace sysvinit 2.84-3 (using
   .../sysvinit_2.84-3_i386.deb) ...
   (minor snippage)

   # However, it's still missing
   satan# ls -l /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
   ls: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh: No such file or directory

shouldn't apt-get install --reinstall have installed this file?
according to dpkg, the file should be there:

   satan# dpkg -L sysvinit | grep hostname
   /etc/init.d/hostname.sh

   satan# ll /etc/init.d/hostname.sh
   ls: /etc/init.d/hostname.sh: No such file or directory

in the mean time, your email has been recycled to make a hostname.sh
file for me.  thanks troy, i definitely owe you one!   :-)

pete

begin Troy Arnold <troy-vox@zenux.net>