[vox-tech] my computer has no name

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 3 May 2003 18:18:04 -0700 (PDT)

I think I had a similar problem before, though I just checked the log file
instead of running strace to find out why Apache was flipping out :)

I think I ended up editing /etc/HOSTNAME or /etc/hostname and/or
/etc/hosts, but I think that was some RedHat thing.  The real thing is
apparently done via `hostname`, a program run from one of the startup
scripts.

Debian probably stores the hostname in some standard place and reads it
from the startup script and sets the hostname using `hostname`.

-Mark