[vox-tech] LILO Segmentation Fault

Shorter Rankin vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 03 May 03 09:23:52 +0800

On Fri, 2 May 2003 16:16:34 -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

>begin Shorter Rankin <nitehawkNOSPAM999@NOSPAMearthlink.net>
>> Hello all,
>> Can't boot to my hard drive. Brand new install of
>>Slackware 7.1 [snip]
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>
>blind guess: lilo segfaulted when the slackware installer ran it, but it
>whizzed by and you didn't see the error message.  hence your MBR is in
>an undefined state.

Thanks for this. I installed Zboot, multiple os boot mgr
and it fixed it right up.

>isn't slack up to something like 8?   that distro isn't known for it's
>bleeding edge installs.  wasn't 7 still using something like libc5?

I picked an old distro on purpose. Given the limitations of the
hardware I have limited objectives for this computer. It has a
NE2000 clone which is recognized. I've got a hunk of CAT5
crossover cable and a bunch of laptops with PCMCIA
10/100 base 2 cards. I'm reading HOWTOS on firewalls.
I'm not going to try X windows on this one.
Say what you want to about Slack I've had better luck
with their installs than I have had with RH 6.2 or
Mandrake 9.

>if there's a newer version of slackware, i'd *definitely* install it.
>sounds like an old version of lilo may be to blame here.

It seems like hardware requirements keep going up.
Linux to me is a good way to keep doing something
useful with old hardware. That said, I've got RH 8 on
a Thinkpad 600 - the ONLY successful install of X
windows. I'm having some trouble with the builtin
Mwave "winmodem". And on RH 8 it seems like
they took the worst features of Gnome and KDE
and combined them. Until recently I thought I
was stuck with it that way.

[snip}
>my version of lilo is 22.5.1.   let us know what happens.
>
>pete
>
>--
>GPG Instructions: http://www.dirac.org/linux/gpg
>GPG Fingerprint: B9F1 6CF3 47C4 7CD8 D33E 70A9 A3B9 1945 67EA 951D

Again, thanks for this msg. It pointed me in the right
direction which led to a fix.

Shorter
.