[vox-tech] LILO Segmentation Fault

Fri, 2 May 2003 16:16:34 -0700

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

begin Shorter Rankin <nitehawk999@earthlink.net>=20
> Hello all,
> Can't boot to my hard drive. Brand new install of
> Slackware 7.1 on a 486DX2-66 ISA bus 16M of
> RAM, 850Mb hard drive (1654/16/63), 1992 BIOS
> with a 528Mb hard drive limit. To get around the
> limit I setup the hard drive as follows:
>=20
> /dev/hda1 =3D 16 megs mounted on /boot
> /dev/hda2 =3D 32 megs <linux swap>
> /dev/hda3 =3D balance of the drive mounted on /
>=20
> When I try to boot to the hard drive I get
> LIL- and the system hangs. I can boot
> with an installation floppy by entering
> mount boot=3D/dev/hda3 ro
> at the prompt.
>=20
> The system map and a bunch of stuff
> is in /boot.
>=20
> vmlinuz is in /
>=20
> When I type 'lilo -v'
> I get "Segmentation Fault".
>=20
> Would it help if I move vmlinuz to
> /boot and rewrite lilo.conf to
> point to /dev/hda1?
>=20
> Any help appreciated.

blind guess: lilo segfaulted when the slackware installer ran it, but it
whizzed by and you didn't see the error message.  hence your MBR is in
an undefined state.

isn't slack up to something like 8?   that distro isn't known for it's
bleeding edge installs.  wasn't 7 still using something like libc5?

if there's a newer version of slackware, i'd *definitely* install it.
sounds like an old version of lilo may be to blame here.

it might be interesting to see what's causing lilo to segfault.  you can
do that using strace or ltrace.  but depending on how old your lilo is,
don't bother sending in a bug report unless you can reproduce the bug on
a current version.

my version of lilo is 22.5.1.   let us know what happens.

pete

--=20

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/--