[vox-tech] Wireless cards and orinoco patching woes

Jonathan McPherson vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 02 May 2003 12:04:00 -0700

All,

> I've gotten pretty close to getting it working. The problem I have right
> now is: it refuses to scan for access points.

Okay, never mind -- I finally got it to scan! I went here:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrihes/Linux/Orinoco.html

1. I downloaded the 13d orinoco driver (latest and greatest, newer than
   the 11b drivers that come with the 2.4.20-6 kernel supplied by the
   Debian kernel-source package)

2. I patched it with scanning support, using a 13d patch written by
   Pavel Roskin and downloadable at the above URL.

3. I copied the driver's code (.c and .h files) into the kernel source
   tree, replacing the version 11b drivers in drivers/net/wireless. This
   seemed like a risky operation, and I was afraid the resultant kernel
   would not compile. (It compiled fine.)

4. I configured the kernel for PCMCIA, Hermes/Orinoco, and WaveLan
   support.

5. make-kpkg -rev Custom.2 kernel_image, ditto for modules_image, dpkg
   --install new kernel and modules, reboot, and ...

6. scanning works!

Next up: actually connecting to discovered networks. (-:

Jonathan.