[vox-tech] HOWTO: fiddle with mutt

Troy Arnold vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 1 May 2003 14:50:40 -0700

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 03:19:14PM -0400, Mike Simons wrote:
> I figured posting some .muttrc style changes would be of interested
> to people.  Here are part of my ~/.mutt/muttrc file...
>

> - the pager does not put '+' marks at the beginning of wrapped lines
>   (makes pasting long urls much easier :)

Thanks for that!

>   If anyone else has mutt tips or tricks send them along.

I check mail on a few different machines so I like to keep my .muttrc's
modular.  (Swiped that idea from Mr. Guckes, himself)

So ~/.muttrc is pretty simple and contains only those things which are
different from host to host.  It sources ~/.mutt/muttrc.common which
does the, well, common work like setting up bindings and sourcing my
color files. Moving to a new host means scp -pr ~/.mutt/ and editing a
few lines of .muttrc.  This is nice because if I make a change, I can
propogate it to all the hosts without having to re-merge any
host-specific things.

# ~/.muttrc
set hostname = zenux.net
set realname = "Troy Arnold"
#set mbox_type = MH
#set mbox = ~/mail/inbox/
set record = ~/mail/sent
my_hdr From: troy@zenux.net
# Change the header just for vox
send-hook 'vox-tech@lists.lugod.org' "my_hdr From: troy-vox@zenux.net"
source ~/.mutt/mutt.aliases
source ~/.mutt/mutt.aliases.zaurus
source ~/.mutt/muttrc.common
#end

Mutt is like vim -- there's always some new cool thing to learn.

-troy