[vox-tech] Howto: run Mozilla 1.3 on Debian woody

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:00:38 -0500

  I recently got irritated at the 1.0.0 Mozilla in stable (woody)...

  If you want to upgrade to Mozilla 1.3 use the following in
/etc/apt/sources.list:
===
# Mozilla 1.3 backport from sid for woody
deb http://debian.relativ.org/ ./
===

Then as root run:
===
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
===

  Since I run a mixed stable/testing/unstable system I also need one of
the following pin added to /etc/apt/preferences

===
Package: *
Pin: origin debian.relativ.org
===

  Warning the 1.3 source changes browser binary name from 'mozilla'
to 'mozilla-1.3', so you may want to create a link like:
===
ln -s /usr/bin/mozilla-1.3 /usr/local/bin/mozilla
===

  The 1.2.1 site below does not have this problem.
I didn't test the 1.1 site.

    Later,
      Mike Simons

  If you want a slightly older Mozilla 1.1 add the following lines to
/etc/apt/sources.list
===
# Mozilla 1.1, Galeon backport
deb http://people.fsn.hu/~pasztor/debian woody mozilla
===

  The 1.1 site includes Galeon which the others do not.

  1.2.1 is also available:
===
# Mozilla 1.2.1 for woody
deb http://people.debian.org/~frankie/debian/woody/kalem/ /
===

  If you need the pin, change "debian.relativ.org" to the site source you
use above.

  If you have problems with apt crashing with a message similar to:
===
Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occured while processing python-pyme (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
===

Then add the following line to /etc/apt/apt.conf
===
APT::Cache-Limit 10000000;
===