[vox-tech] debian questions - packages under testing / unstable

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:40:29 -0500

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 08:00:02PM -0800, Ted Deppner wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:23:32PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > anybody know of an approximate ETA for when...
> > 1. i can upgrade libc6 on testing so that php4 doesn't get uninstalled?
>
> Ack!  Be careful of this... the libc6 work they're doing is a major
> upgrade to libc6 meaning at some point *everything* will have to be
> recompiled.  Until then you risk all sorts of problems if your running old
> binaries against a new libc6, let alone the possible issues with a beta
> libc6 kernel.
>
> I plan on waiting until a complete upgrade is available, ie when sid is
> released.

Ted,

  Sid will never be released... that is the code name for unstable
(he's the kid who blows up toys afterall).

  The fact that libc6 is moving into testing means that the developers
_think_ they have all the really bad bugs worked out and they are trying
to get more wide spread testing of the package.  They would not move
it into testing if they _knew_ it was going to break everything.

  I agree caution is a good thing... but people who don't want to hurt
every now and then should not be updating a testing system right now.

    TTFN,
      Mike