[vox-tech] debian questions - packages under testing / unstable

Ted Deppner vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:00:02 -0800

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:23:32PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> anybody know of an approximate ETA for when...
> 1. i can upgrade libc6 on testing so that php4 doesn't get uninstalled?

Ack!  Be careful of this... the libc6 work they're doing is a major
upgrade to libc6 meaning at some point *everything* will have to be
recompiled.  Until then you risk all sorts of problems if your running old
binaries against a new libc6, let alone the possible issues with a beta
libc6 kernel.

I plan on waiting until a complete upgrade is available, ie when sid is
released.

That said, it's not too much work to download the source files and build
the package for your system.  Most things in sid requiring the new libc6
can be compiled locally with a minimum of effort and no coding and will
then work flawlessly.  I can explain these steps if anyone would like to
hear them.

> 2. when i can upgrade libnspr4/mozilla-browser on unstable so that
>    galeon doesn't get uninstalled?

I'd suggest downloading the source and fixing the debian/control file...
it sounds like there's an improper entry in there that is conflicting.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/