[vox-tech] OT - Finding slope of a line, with lots of points

Jay Strauss vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:52:35 -0600

Sorry, I already googled, but can't find what I'm looking for.

I remember back in science class (must have been Chem), we'd do experiments
and plot a bunch of points on graph paper.  Then we'd fudge a line that went
thru the points (trying to get equal numbers of points on one side of the
line as the other), and that was our "expected" slope.

Is there some formula or algorithm for doing this with a computer? (I'll do
it in Perl)  Or where, under what topic would I go a googling?

Thank
Jay