[vox-tech] Compile C to Java bytecode?

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:16:34 -0800

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 09:07:02AM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Thursday 20 March 2003 08:52 am, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > It's possible to compile something like C into Java bytecode, right?
>
> Well, Java is something like C. ;-)  Much of the basic
> syntax is similar or identical.  I don't know of a converter
> offhand.

Well, in this case, it'd be a compiler.  Instead of C -> x86 opcodes for
an Intel(tm) processor, for example, it'd be C -> Java(tm) bytecode for a JVM.

One of my first questions when I first heard of Java back in the day was:
"So, you could compile C to a JVM?  And you could compile Java to a real CPU?"

I don't think there were tools at the time, but the person from Sun