[vox-tech] magic sysreq key

Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:06:18 -0800

note: subject change

hi jonathan,

when not latexing or playing games, i'm usually not using X.

runlevels are not meaningful since they mean different things for
different operating systems.  i'm guessing you don't use debian, so i
don't know what runlevel 3 means.

when doing anything of any importance, like trying to recover gracefully
from a kernel error, do it in console.  don't run X.  direct logging by
the kernel and modules may not be seen from within X.  furthermore, X
can steal the key sequence like it does with ctl-alt-backspace.

i know *quite literally* nothing about KDE or GNOME other than you can
have cute little icons on your desktop, so i'm not sure of any gotchas
with kernel logging, magic keystrokes and desktop managers.

so try it in console.

one more question, and i hope this isn't insulting -- can you tell me
*precisely* the keystrokes you're hitting in excruciating detail?
something along the lines of:

i press down the alt key.  while keeping the alt key pressed down, i
then press down "print screen".  etc

lastly, have you read the part in sysreq.txt about "i press the sequence
and nothing happens"?

pete

begin Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@netscape.net>