[vox-tech] Public Access Terminals

Darrick Servis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 18:09:06 -0800

Hi

Just joined the list.  I work at DCTV among other things.  I'm working on
setting up a Public Access terminal for the Food Coop.  Richard Lowenberg
from DCN said you (LUGOD) were going to install Linux on a couple of
terminals but you're waiting for the new version of Debian to come out.

Anyway, this is my problem.

The Public-Web-Browser Howto has been helpful.  But the trouble I'm having now
is what browser to use.  I don't like Galeon because of all the libraries
installed.  I don't like konqueror for the same reason.   Opera has the ads.
So, right now I'm thinking about hacking Mozilla.  Problem with mozilla is
the user directory needs to be writable.

So, what kind of browser were you going to use and how did you plan to lock it
down?  Also, what kind of deviations from the Howto were you looking at.  I'm
using Slackware with blackbox.  Is it worth my time to hack Mozilla for use
as a public browser?  Would you want to use it?  I don't want to duplicate
work but I just can't believe there's not anything out there to do this
easily.

Excuse the rushed email, I'm heading home.

Thanks
-- Darrick