[vox-tech] Recovering data

Michael J Wenk vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:54:54 -0800

--Boundary_(ID_x5tju9iq/rIBQHPa53QyCw)

Hey,

I have a problem where I seem to have lost around 10GB of data from a backup of a PC I have.  The file was not rm'd.  I suspect that the program that wrote it trashed it(I admit Im not totally sure.)  What happened was I ran a backup under XP to a netdrive that resides on my linux system.  I verfied the data was there and was usable(by doing a small restore.)  However, after I rebuilt the machine, that same backup file went from about 10GB down to 20KB.  Since I have not written that kinda data to the disk, I suspect that my data is still there, however using debugfs(the trick to getting info back I know) did not work.  Does anyone know of any other way to get at that information?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

--Boundary_(ID_x5tju9iq/rIBQHPa53QyCw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hey,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have a problem where I seem to have lost around
10GB of data from a backup of a PC I have.&nbsp; The file was not rm'd.&nbsp; I
suspect that the program that wrote it trashed it(I admit Im not totally
sure.)&nbsp; What happened was I ran a backup under XP to a netdrive that
resides on my linux system.&nbsp; I verfied the data was there and was usable(by
doing a small restore.)&nbsp; However, after I rebuilt the machine, that same
backup file went from about 10GB down to 20KB.&nbsp; Since I have not written
that kinda data to the disk, I suspect that my data is still there, however
using debugfs(the trick to getting info back I know) did not work.&nbsp; Does
anyone know of any other way to get at that information?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks in advance, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Mike</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_x5tju9iq/rIBQHPa53QyCw)--