[vox-tech] mounting an external drive

Jennifer Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:06:39 -0800

I have an external drive setup through a firewire on a Sony laptop.  I
think I have one of the partitions on the drive setup at ext3....but how
can I make sure that it it?  Also how can I mount it so that any user
and not just root can write to it?  I have tried modifying my fstab file
a few times this is what I have now (I can mount it as ext2 or ext3).  I
can mount the drive as a user now but still can't write to it.

    LABEL=/                 /                       ext3
    defaults        1 1
    LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3
    defaults        1 2
    none                    /dev/pts                devpts
    gid=5,mode=620  0 0
    none                    /proc                   proc
    defaults        0 0
    none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs
    defaults        0 0
    /dev/hda5               swap                    swap
    defaults        0 0
    /dev/sda5               /Data1                  vfat
    defaults,umask=0000 0 0
    /dev/sda6               /Data2                  vfat
    defaults,umask=0000 0 0
    /dev/sda7               /LinuxExtra             ext2
    users,rw,exec        0 0
    /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
    noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
    /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

I would like to be able to mount this on boot and this fstab does that
except that I can't write to it.  Thanks

Jennifer