[vox-tech] enabling DMA on cd/dvd combo drive

Rob Rogers vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:14:16 -0500

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 14:57:26PM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> works like a champ. thanks a lot.

You're welcome.

> so why is the symlink /dev/cdrom pointing a scsi device by default?

Linux uses a scsi-emulation layer for ide burners. I don't know all the
details, I just know it doesn't work without the emulation, and it makes
all burners operate as scsi devices (as far as the kernel is concerned).
I'm sure someone else can explain it much better than that.