[vox-tech] replaced video card - get blank screen

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 13:26:27 -0500

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:04:40AM -0800, Kevin Hooke wrote:
> I recently replaced the video card in my desktop (dual boot Suse8.0/WinXP)
> from an ATI Radeon AIW to a Radeon 9500.
[...]
> I have an rpm for the latest drivers for the 9500 card - is there any way I
> can install them using rescue mode (this does display text ok) or something
> similar,
>
> I've tried to telnet in from another machine to install the driver that way,
> but it seems I don't have telnetd running (I can't connect).

Kevin,

About booting:
====
  When your machine boots it is probably using a "Framebuffer" mode to
display the boot up text.  If your bootup cursor is normally a solid
rectangle or you see a little logo or graphics on the screen while
the boot process is running then this is certain.  If you see a little
underscore line and no graphics until X starts up, then you aren't
using framebuffer mode for booting (and you shouldn't be having any
problems now).

  When you select the kernel you are going to boot try typing this
string to add an option to the kernel at boot:
  video=vga16:off

  That may turn framebuffer mode off... but it may not.  If some other
framebuffer driver (not "vga16") is in use then you would need to
specify it's name instead of "vga16".

  Also I don't know the Suse bootup system well but there is probably
a option (like "single" or "text" or "rescue" or something) which you
can specify which will not start up the X11 system on bootup...
you may want to try things like that.

About telnet:
====
  I don't know what Suse installs by default, but try "ssh" or secure
shell to connect to your machine over the network.  You can verify that
ssh is running by "telnet IP_ADDRESS 22" which will connect to port 22,
if that works, you will need to get a secure shell client to login
("putty" is a good windows ssh client, google for it).

  If all of that above doesn't work then...
- then explaining what happens when you try the video=off stuff above.
- putting your old card back into the machine would be a good next step.
- or bringing your machine to the installfest this weekend (RSVP first).

  are all possibilities...

    Good Luck,
      Mike