[vox-tech] Re: Logitech MouseMan and XF86Config-4

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:33:05 -0800

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

> ---ORIGINAL MESSAGE---=20
> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:43:03 -0800 (PST)
> From: Robin Snyder <resnyder@ucdavis.edu>
> To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
> Subject: [vox-tech] Re: Logitech MouseMan and XF86Config-4
>=20
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 03:59:13PM -0800, Robin Snyder wrote:
> > > I occasionally want to switch to a second mouse, which is a Logitech
> > > Mouseman mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel/button (not cordle=
ss)
> > > and have been trying to write a second version of my XF86Config-4 fil=
e to
> > > accommodate the new mouse.  If I use protocol "microsoft," the cursor
> > > tracks the mouse motions appropriately, but I have to use third button
> > > emulation to paste text.  Everything that I've seen on the net sugges=
ts
> > > that the correct mouse protocol is IMPS/2 and that I should use device
> > > "mouse," but these give the classic wrong protocol random mouse movem=
ents.
> > > Anyone know what I should do to get the third button working?  I've t=
ried
> > > adding the line
>=20
> It's a ps/2 mouse.  I tried the PS/2 protocol as well as the IMPS/2
> protocol but both cause the cursor to shoot around wildly and hang out
> near the screen edges in classic "I'm unhappy with my protocol"
> fashion.

I use a Logitech Trackman Wheel (so stop reading if this doesn't apply=20
to you).

Here is my /etc/gpm.conf file sans comments (this file is Debian only)
device=3D/dev/psaux
responsiveness=3D
repeat_type=3D
type=3Dexps2
append=3D""
sample_rate=3D

Here is an excerpt from my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
(many comments removed)

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "MouseManPlusPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"
#   Option "Device"      "/dev/gpmdata"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    # ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice
    Option "ChordMiddle"
EndSection

Note the commented /dev/gpmdata. I had tried using gpm as a raw=20
repeater, and letting X pick up its data from /dev/gpmdata, but that=20
caused the problem you speak of with the mouse bouncing around. I=20
couldn't get the problem to stop until I disabled gpm's repeater mode=20
again.

Previously, when I used a Logitech Optical Mouse (that didn't say=20
anything about MouseMan anywhere), my protocol in X was IMPS/2, and my=20
protocol in gpm was exps2

--=20
Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C  941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc--