[vox-tech] Secure file serving?

Jay Strauss vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:53:38 -0600

I'm re-asking this question, I'm hoping the lack of response was due to the
DNS problems rather than no one wanting to respond to me
---

I gotta question.  I want to have a secure file server.

I set up a samba server at work.  I can see the samba server from my win2k
box when I'm on my work network.  According to various docs I've read, I
should be able to SSH to my work server from home, do a little ssh tunneling
magic and be able to see the samba server from home (across the internet).
Unfortunately, I've had no joy, and from what I've read the performance
would be disappointing too (this food sucks, and the portions are small
too).

I'd like to have a file server that I can get to from home, work, or when at
a client's site.  I'd like it to be something like SMB so that it will work
well with all my M$ apps and provide file locking and such so that me and my
work mates don't overwrite each other (as opposed to having a sftp client
(gui or not)).

What are my options?

What I think would be really neat (i don't think it exists), is a https web
page I could go to, authenticate, and magically I could then see some
common/shared file systems, and be able to use if from my normal directory
structure (ie. thru windows explorer or from unix "ls"), so that I could
still use it while on a security conscience client site.

Ps, the exact reason I couldn't use the samba server thru ssh was, that even
though I followed the directions verbatim (that is sticking an entry in my
LMHOSTS file and setting up the tunnel), windows could find the samba server

Thanks
Jay