[vox-tech] SSH On Home Network

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:39:11 -0800 (PST)

With only the data you have provided, it looks more like the interface is
down, or an interface is improperly configured.

Nothing can ping it.
Nothing can ssh to it.

If it cannot ping others, and/or canont ssh to others, this further adds
to this as being more likely. (Pinging yourself is not a sufficient test
for use of the correct interface, but it can be useful in testing firewall
rules. I mean here, to ping other boxes from the RH8 one.

Things to do:
1) Check to see if the link light is on for the interface.
2) If it is on, are there multiple NIC interfaces? if so, make sure you
are using the same physical NIC you configured. (Some systems come with
integrated NICs and allow for extra NIC too.

When you type:
# ifconfig
does it list your "ethN" interface where "N" is a number greater than or
equal to zero?

How about:
# route -N
Does it list anything other than loopback (127.0.0.1) ?

If you can ssh from this RH 8 box to others, then look into firewall rules
and limits from filters.

-ME