[vox-tech] Red Hat 8 Screen Resolution

Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:14:04 -0800

begin Ryan <rcdetert@ucdavis.edu>
>   I just installed Red Hat 8 and I had been having some issues with my
> Intel 845G video adapter and . I had tried to install XFree86
> 4.3 last week, but after I botched that I decided to reinstall Red Hat 8
> with the default Workstation install and surprisingly enough my video
> adapter works and I can use Gnome.
>
>   However, the problem now is that I can't change the resolution, and I
> think red hat got rid of Xconfigurator. Here is what my XF86Config file
> looks like in the screen section. I used the gnome Display configuration
> tool and this is what it has in the config file now.
>
> I'm currently using XFree86-4.2.0-72 kernel 2.4.18-26.8.0.
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier "Screen0"
>         Device     "Intel 845"
>         Monitor    "Monitor0"
>         DefaultDepth     16
>         SubSection "Display"
>                 Depth     16
>                 Modes    "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
> "640x480"
>         EndSubSection
> EndSection
>

> After a reboot the resolution still won't change. I'm stuck in 1024x768.
> I don't see any errors in the log file.

deletion of video modes is NOT an error.  it's considered information.

error == (EE)
info  == (II)

when a video mode is deleted, it's informational and will always give
you a reason.   for instance:

(II)  videocard: Not using default mode "9999x999"  (hsync out of range)

just to make sure we're on the same page, what "log file" are you
referring to when you say you don't see any errors in "the log file"?

even the best configured X system is going to have SOME kind of error.

pete