[vox-tech] Burning CD's in Linux

Robert G. Scofield vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:26:25 -0800

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 04:51 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> what kind of burner do you have?

Plextor based on your and Rod's recommendation.  You see, I listen to what you
say.

> > Also, isn't there an easier program one can use to burn CD's with?
>
> cdrecord is, imho, the easiest.  even easier than the windows software
> i've seen out there, like nero.

Here's something interesting.  I just installed a Memorex on the computer my
son uses, and Nero came with it.  Nero's licensing agreement was okay.  But
check this out.

With Plextor came a Roxio and Oak Technology software packages.  Both had
licensing agreements that said that I agree that these programs would go
online at times and download "security updates" that would disable certain
burner functions (I guess if I was violating copyright laws or something).  I
don't really understand what these security updates are.  But, I had an idea.

I got the burner to back up business files because they're getting too big for
floppies.  I don't have that much Linux stuff to back up.  So I was thinking
that if I could get Linux to work the burner, I could use Linux to back up
the Windows work files, and then uninstall the privacy invadiing Roxio.

So here's another use for Linux.  Windows users with CD burners should have a
small Linux partition just to use cdrecord to protect their privacy.

At any rate, Windows users need to read the licensing agreements.

Bob