[vox-tech] NFS and user IDs

Shawn P. Neugebauer vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 09:50:05 -0800

On Sunday 02 March 2003 09:20 am, Rod Roark wrote:
> Anyone know if there's a way to map user IDs (other than
> root) across NFS?
>
> I.e., user "rod" on the client machine has ID 1000, but on
> the NFS server is 500, and I'd like general access to my
> home directory from the client.

The simplest solution is to use the same UID when you configure
the 2nd machine.  For a small network, it is generally not hard to change
the UID's to match--but you need to find a few odds-and-ends
(e.g., /var/spool/mail).  There was a recent thread on vox-tech about
the dual problem of changing username.  It's an easy mistake, on a small
network, to end up with machines having different UID's--it's not
something one usually thinks about on a small network.

The more general solution is to run NIS.  Then you don't have
a UID hard-coded on a machine, you get it from the NIS server.
It's not hard to get NIS running for a small network, but there's
a little bit of a learning curve.  You would still need to "retro-fit"
your filesystems to get all the UID's to match-up.

The question you are asking is if the NFS server will re-map UID's
for you.  The answer is "maybe."  It does not do general re-mapping
of the sort you are asking about (e.g., using rules like "if a request
comes from UID X treat this as UID Y"--at least, I don't think so).
However, you *might* be able to make use of the ability of the NFS
server to re-map the anonymous uid.  *maybe*  I think that's opening
a big can of worms--for security, maintenance, etc.

I suggest doing the small amount of work to get the UID's to match up.

shawn