[vox-tech] Advice Needed: Getting 802.11b Wireless Card Recognized

Jim Lowman vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 01 Mar 2003 18:59:08 -0800

I've set up an 802.11b wireless network at home, with three Dell
machines running Windoze.
For hardware that purports to be plug-and-play, I've spent numerous
hours playing around
trying to get it running.  Owing to being a novice at network concepts,
it probably works more
by accident than by anything I did purposely.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I have a fourth Dell box that I've
dedicated to Linux, and have
RH 8 running.  The wireless NIC is a D-Link DWL-650, which is on the RH
8 HCL.

The card was installed when I installed RH 8, but apparently was not
detected.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the UNIX/Linux System Administration
class at UCR, but
I'd rate my experience as a Linux user as novice, being fairly new to
the OS.

Any pointers on configuring the beast to get it working on my LAN would
be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance...Jim