[vox-tech] mutt and mail folders...

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 01 Mar 2003 03:10:25 -0500

Hi all,

  So I've been wondering how to get mutt to work with a bunch of mail
folders, which procmail is so willing to make for me.  I used to keep a
screen session running X copies of mutt, one for each folder and I would
toggle between them.  With how quickly lugod is expanding it's mail list
collection in the last few months I've run out of available windows, and
had to find a different solution.

  I've never read the mutt manual, now have it on my list todo...
this stuff is from skimming.

  So here is what I started doing today... anyone else have suggestions?

~/.mutt/muttrc
===
mailboxes ! =list/calteg =list/cgiwrap =list/cvbig =list/java \
  =list/mm =list/picnix =list/sc2 =list/va =list/vo =list/vout =list/vt
# more boxes, etc...

set mbox=!       # leave mail in incoming spool

set mark_old=no  # do *NOT* mark as 'old' when leaving a folder
bind  index \'  next-unread   # a way to move among old mail
===

  When starting mutt use '-q' it will bring you to a menu allowing
you to pick which folder to enter.  The folders come for the mailboxes
list.

  When in a folder 'c', then TAB, then TAB will bring you back to this
folder list.

  The following grepmail tells me how many 'New' messages I have in each
folder.

alias mc="grepmail -r -h -v '^Status: RO$' ~/Mail/list/* /var/mail/msimons | grep -v ' 0$'"
===
msimons@moria:~$ mc
/home/msimons/Mail/list/vo: 7
/home/msimons/Mail/list/vt: 2
/var/mail/msimons: 40
===

  The down side is that it changes the access timestamp of the files so
that things like mutt don't think there is "new mail" until it opens the
file.

  I'll follow up with a revised perl version that sets the time stamp
in when I get a chance.

    Later,
      Mike