[vox-tech] Compiling C into Java bytecode?

Ricardo Anguiano vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
30 Jun 2003 12:22:37 -0700

Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> writes:
> Okay, just out of curiosity.  Say one wanted to create a 'Java
> application' (e.g., something that runs in a web browser, cell phone
> or PDA JVM), but they wanted to write the application using the C
> /language/.

Makes me think of SWIG. Make multilanguage apps.

        http://www.swig.org/

It's usually for scripting languages interfacing to C or vice-versa,
but it also does C to Java.  It's about all I know about that.

> This is possible, is it not?  If so, are there some tools for this
> under Linux?  (I see "gjc", the Java compiler from GNU, as well as
> "gij", the Java bytecode interpreter from GNU; but nothing for
> taking code in other programming languages and turning them into
> Java bytecode)

In a nutshell, language translation tools are hard to get right or to
even do most of the work.  Here's a paper that describes work
translating from C++ to Java:

        http://seclab.cs.ucdavis.edu/~devanbu/dp.tex.pdf

Now do it in reverse, and un-object-ify it. That would be a nice
paper, or thesis even.  :)

Cheers,
--
Ricardo Anguiano