[vox-tech] Compiling C into Java bytecode?

Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:05:10 -0700

On Mon 30 Jun 03, 11:29 AM, Micah J. Cowan <micah@cowan.name> said:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 10:37:15AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> >
> > Do you have a reference for that?  I always thought that
> > language by definition does not include libraries.  Perhaps
> > the standard you are referring to covers more than just the
> > language.
>
> The usual reference the first sentence of the first paragraph of the
> first section ("Scope") of the standard, which states:
>
>   This International Standard specifies the form and establishes the
>   interpretation of programs written in the C programming language.
>
> Yet, this standard provides a clause detailing all standard C library
> facilities. It is generally accepted among comp.lang.c regulars that
> the standard C library is part of the language itself, according to
> the language of the standard.

the two of you are talking about two different standards.

K+R very explicitly say:

   - there are no input/output functions in C.
   - there are no functions that perform file operations in C.
   - the std C library is NOT a part of the language proper.

of course, when they wrote the book, there was no C99.

as for the quote above, i have two comments:

1. you cannot logically infer that the std library is a part of the
   library.

2. however, i would agree that it's probably the intent of whoever wrote
   that sentence.

pete