[vox-tech] ps2 mouse not working

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:33:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Mike Simons wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 04:24:33AM -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> > My k6-450 died a couple of weeks ago, so I ordered an Athlon 2400+/ASUS
> > A7S333 mobo/box/power supply and it arrived today. I plugged in the old
> > hard disks, floppy, cdrw, monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and everything
> > worked except for the mouse.
>
> Please send output from:
> ===
> ls -l /proc/`pidof gpm`/fd

total 0
lrwx------    1 root     root           64 Jun 24 09:31 0 -> /dev/gpmdata
lrwx------    1 root     root           64 Jun 24 09:31 1 -> socket:[6670]

> grep -v ^# /etc/gpm.conf

device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=imps2
append=""

> grep -3 mouse /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

#    Option "AllowNonLocalXvidtune"

# Uncomment this to disable dynamically modifying the input device
# (mouse and keyboard) settings.

#    Option "DisableModInDev"

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local client to
# change the keyboard or mouse settings (currently only xset).

#    Option "AllowNonLocalModInDev"

--
# Identifier and driver

    Identifier	"Mouse1"
    Driver	"mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "imps/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/gpmdata"
    Option "Buttons"     "5"
--
#
# Section "InputDevice"

> ===
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
>   Just to clarify, stay on the text console until that is working...

Understood.

> - if you restart gpm and wiggle do you see any movement?

Actually, gpm was not running until I manually started it.  The rc2.d
symbolic link is still there, and the script still works, so either some
timeout occurs or the environment is different at boot time (S20).

When I started it, gpm highlighted a random couple of lines. However,
moving or clicking the mouse has no effect.

>   It is remotely possible that mouse input is being routed into the
> new human input system /dev/input/mouse0 ...
>
>   Not seeing the IRQ seems odd.

Yes and no.  Knoppix actually didn't show the interrupt until I used the
mouse in X, so it seems to get allocated on demand there.  This is not
behavior I have ever seen before.  However, it is odd that the interrupt
never seems to get registered.

My current .config (no initrd) contains the following
$ grep MOUSE .config
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=m
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768