[vox-tech] Shell Scripting Question: Getting a directory name from a 'find' result

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:04:58 -0700

--/NkBOFFp2J2Af1nK

On 2003.06.23 10:54, Richard Crawford wrote:
> Suppose I have a short script as such:
>=20
> find . -name 'wwwboard.html' -print | while read i
> do
>   print $i
> done
>=20
> how can I pass the name of the directory where $i lurks to another
> variable, such as $dir?
>=20

In csh, the appropriate syntax would be $i:r

--=20
My PGP key was last signed 6/10/2003 please download my key again if
it is more recent than your copy. If you use GPG, *please* talk to
me to sign it. The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu
--/NkBOFFp2J2Af1nK

--/NkBOFFp2J2Af1nK--