[vox-tech] Respawning too fast

Richard S. Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
17 Jun 2003 13:35:34 -0700

Thanks to those who responded to my request for info earlier.  The damn
thing's trying to initialize the non-existent modem over and over, and I
believe that's what is causing the problem.  At least, in /etc/inittab,
there's a line which looks like this:

S:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS3

...and when I get that screen full of error messages, it's complaining
about process ID S.

What I don't understand now is this.  I've logged in to the computer as
root, and edited /etc/inittab to comment out the offending line (I don't
like deleting such lines unless I absolutely have to, on the theory that
I might need them someday).  However, when I reboot the computer, the
line is back in, uncommented, and the whole rigamarole starts all over
again.

Should I be looking in an rcx.d script somewhere?

Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford