[vox-tech] Linux sound recording

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:01:27 -0700

On Tue 17 Jun 03,  9:30 AM, Ted Deppner <ted@psyber.com> said:

> Yes... any supported sound card.  Tapes have maybe 20 to 40 db signal to
> noise if you're lucky... any sound card (even a "cheap one") can do better
> than that.

i don't think this isn't entirely correct because audio recording (even
from a tape source) is more than just high signal to noise ration.
nothing is ever quite that simple.

there are other issues involved.  the linux audio quality howto should
outline them.  you'll want to at least scan the document and make up
your own mind.  i know from my own experience, the AWE 64's quality was
poor enough that i believe it would be important, even in a tape
recording.

but in *general*, what ted said is correct.  you're recording from a
crummy source anyway.   just beware that there are sound cards out
there that you'll want to avoid, even when copying from a tape.

IIRC, the creative PCI-128 was given high marks for recording.  it's a
supremely cheap card.  think i saw it selling for 10 bucks on ebay
awhile ago.

pete