[vox-tech] SM56 Motorola Query

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:23:01 -0700

Karthikeyan

I have recently configured "winmodems" in RH9 on two different systems,
but they were not Motorola (they were Lucent and Conexant).  Anyway, it
seems that your modem has some limited Linux support directly from
Motorola.  This is unfortunate because they have not supported it beyond
RH7.1, but no one in the Linux community has picked it up.

Anyway, you may be able to troubleshoot a little.  I think it is rare
for modems to be automagically detected, especially winmodems.  You need
to manually tell your PPP software which device to look (e.g. /dev/modem
if there is a proper symlink).  Also, specific kernel modules often need
to load before the modem will work.  You can check to see if they exist
in /lib/modules/, and you can run /sbin/depmod to check whether all your
modules will load properly.  Hope this helps.

Jonathan