[vox-tech] Linux soud recording

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:15:19 -0700

On Tue 17 Jun 03,  6:59 AM, Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> said:
> I am looking to do some sound recording on Linux. Specifically, I want to
> digitise some valuble old audiotapes before they or my tape player decay. So
> I think I need a sound card. Criteria:
>
> * high quality analog-to-digital converter in stereo
> * input from tape deck via cable for said converter
> * Linux support, of course
> * Reasonable cost
>
> Any recommendations?

yes.  i don't have an answer, but i know where you can get one.

1. the linux audio quality howto.   i found this by accident.  it's not
a real howto, so it's not on tldp.org.  you'll have to google for it.

2. the linux-audio-user mailing list.

i've briefly scanned the audio quality howto, and some of the
information surprised me, so i don't want to say anything other than
"see for yourself".  for instance, the AWE 32/64 which i assumed was an
all around excellent sound card, has a really poor A/D converter.   i
tried to convert a record onto digital format, and the results were
really poor.  later i found the howto and it confirmed that the poor
quality wasn't my fault.

another option, depending on how dear your audio is, is to get a
professional to do it.  i had a professional sound engineer in new york
city convert an LP to CD.  it's these guys' jobs to know everything
there is to know about noise and hiss reduction.  people like you and me
rely on the knowledge of whoever wrote the application we're using.
IIRC, it was about $25 to convert the LP with noise reduction.  it took
them nearly a week to do it, but that week contained 9/11 so the subways
weren't operating in manhattan.  they probably took a few days off...
;)   anyway, they accept mail-ins, and i can give you their address if
you're interested.

pete