[vox-tech] Init: Id "S" respawing too fast

Richard S. Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
16 Jun 2003 19:42:14 -0700

I get this error whenever I launch my new Debian laptop (a Gateway Solo
2500, about 5 years old, with 96 MB RAM, 4 GB hard drive, 300 MHz Intel
Celeron chip).  Specifically, I get a series of error messages about the
usage of getty before I get the error message:

Init: Id "S" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

And, of course, after 5 minutes, I get the same display again, which is
really annoying when I'm in the middle of doing something on this
computer.  I only see the messages when I'm in console mode, not when
I'm running X.  But since X looks so god-awful on this computer, I would
much rather run it in console mode.

What could be causing this error?

Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford