[vox-tech] readline questions (in bash)

Adrian Kalaveshi vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:33:02 -0700

Are you using RedHat 6.1?  I ran into this problem myself in RedHat 6.2.  =)

(from the Bash FAQ)

F6) Why can't I use vi-mode editing on Red Hat Linux 6.1?

The short answer is that Red Hat screwed up.

The long answer is that they shipped an /etc/inputrc that only works
for emacs mode editing, and then screwed all the vi users by setting
INPUTRC to /etc/inputrc in /etc/profile.

The short fix is to do one of the following: remove or rename
/etc/inputrc, set INPUTRC=~/.inputrc in ~/.bashrc (or .bash_profile,
but make sure you export it if you do), remove the assignment to
INPUTRC from /etc/profile, add

        set keymap emacs

to the beginning of /etc/inputrc, or bracket the key bindings in
/etc/inputrc with these lines

	$if mode=emacs
		[...]
	$endif