[vox-tech] readline questions (in bash)

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:15:41 -0400

--gTtJ75FAzB1T2CN6

Pete,

  I'm interested in seeing what you have for .inputrc

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 12:12:25PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> I had just gotten through reading those sections before I posted (I should
> have said that).  I could only get it to paste the last thing I cut, not
> multiple back (via M-y scrolling).  I'll keep playing with it
>=20
> Though it seems once i'm in vi -o mode, my C-y and M-y don't work

Jay,

  That is true, they will not work.  The man page documents the defaults
as in emacs mode.

If you switch to vi mode a whole set of things "break" because:
- to do some things like yank you must be in insert mode.
- default key to exit insert mode and switch to command mode is ESC
- on most terminal setups "alt-CHAR" presses map to "ESC" followed by "CHAR"
- the readline library appears to work letter at a time (not=20
  deciding that you readly hitting Meta-CHAR based on the very short
  delay between letters)

  So I think when you hit alt-y to cycle to the next yank readline
sees the ESC and switches you back into command mode, then does
whatever the vi 'y' command does :), instead of moving to the next=20
history element like you wanted... if you rebind yank-pop to something
else like C-O (and you will to use stty to undef flush).  it should
work right.

  If you want to be able to use most of the readline features in vi
mode I suspect you have to remap any commands that use the meta key
modifier into something else and learn your own special binding set=20
(Then reconfigure every machine you use work on with that special=20
binding).

  Hopefully someone knows of a way to get the meta key to work with
libreadline while it is in vi mode... unless that is possible I
recommend not using vi mode if you want the additional readline=20
features.

--=20

--gTtJ75FAzB1T2CN6

--gTtJ75FAzB1T2CN6--