[vox-tech] debian login

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 23:59:05 -0700

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 02:27:18PM -0800, stoatspam@fastmail.fm wrote:
> I brought my computer to the installfest but they weren't able to get x
> working. I'd like to be able to just get rid of everything X related and
> then try to do a clean setup of X where I understand every step. How
> should I do that? And anyway I haven't seen any sign that the flickering
> login screen is at all related to X. If it was the graphical X kind of
> login screen that was flickering=20

When X flickers because it's misconfigured, the result usually *isn't*
a flickering graphic, a shimmering graphic, or any other kind of
screwy graphic on the screen (although if you see any of the above, it
does mean you have a misconfigured X server). You usually see the
screen go black because the monitor is out of its synchronization
range, and so it refuses to display any image to avoid damaging
itself, and it alerts the X server that it's out of range.

> and then it went to a stable text login
> screen then that would be that, but it is the plain old text login screen
> that is flickering.

--=20
Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C  941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO--