[vox-tech] debian login

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 06 Jun 2003 14:27:18 -0800

I brought my computer to the installfest but they weren't able to get x
working. I'd like to be able to just get rid of everything X related and
then try to do a clean setup of X where I understand every step. How
should I do that? And anyway I haven't seen any sign that the flickering
login screen is at all related to X. If it was the graphical X kind of
login screen that was flickering and then it went to a stable text login
screen then that would be that, but it is the plain old text login screen
that is flickering.
> It is true that X won't work. But I don't think it shoudld be starting
> up
> before I login anyway. My login screen is just plain old text.

If your *observation* is that X shouldn't be starting up before you
log=20
in (because when your login prompt finally appears, it's a text-based=20
login), then I ought to explain to you that there is a classification=20
of software called "display managers" whose purpose is to start the X=20
server at startup and then display a graphical login box. If your X=20
server is not working, then your computer will try 3 times to start
the=20
X server before it gives up. During this time, your screen may blink
or=20
flicker as the X server tries to switch to a graphical display. The=20
solution to this problem is to get your X server configured correctly=20
(and this will cause you to get a graphical login at startup) or to=20
disable the display manager (this will cause you to get a text-based=20
login at startup).=20
If your *philosophy* is that it shouldn't be starting up before you
log=20
in, then make sure your display managers (gdm, xdm, kdm, wdm) are=20
disabled/uninstalled.

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Consolidate POP email and Hotmail in one place