[vox-tech] Redhat 8.0 shutdown does not power off.

Jim Angstadt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:33:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
wrote:
> [...]
> stuff.
> > I tried to get gnome-pilot working, including
> > usb change to the kernel.  Then the -Fr and
> fsch
> > stuff.  Later I mounted some NFS trees from
> > another home box (rh 9.0).
>
> Jim,
>
>   It is _possible_ that NFS is causing the
> shutdown process to hang
> for a long time... if you could go into more
> detail about which machine
> is NFS mounting what, that could help... but
> NFS should be causing
> things to hang at a *different* part of the
> shutdown sequence.
>

>   Based on the last few reports you have sent
> it is not completing the
> shutdown process to the point that it should
> call halt -p, which would
> call "/sbin/poweroff", which would invoke the
> kernel APM option I
> mentioned, which would turn off the machine's
> power (if the power
> supply and BIOS supports that operation).
>
>   Since I don't have a Redhat machine handy, I
> can't check the shutdown
> scripts myself but you say sometimes you get a:
>   Sending processes the TERM signal...[hang]
> but other times:
>   System halted.
>
> - Can you confirm that you tried the same
> command three times in a row
>   and it did different things different times?
>
>   (the command to try each time is "shutdown -h
> now")
>

> Basically when "shutdown -h now" is run
> something like this should happen:
>   Sending processes the TERM signal... done.
>   Sending processes the KILL signal... done.
>   Unmounting filesystems... done.  [this line
> could be multiple lines]
>   System halted.
>
>   It sounds like the "killall5" process is
> having problems... sometimes
> but it is inconsistent.
>
> The script I have here (on Debian) does the
> following:
> ===
> # Kill all processes.
> echo -n "Sending all processes the TERM
> signal... "
> killall5 -15
> echo "done."
> sleep 5
> echo -n "Sending all processes the KILL
> signal... "
> killall5 -9
> echo "done."
> ===
>
>   As you can see the "sleep" for 5 seconds
> happens *after* the "done."
> is printed... if the system hangs it would be
> inside killall5.
>
> - Please look around in /etc/init.d/ for a
> script named "sendsigs" or run
>     grep "TERM signal" /etc/init.d/*
>   to figure out which script there does the
> TERM... if the working part of
>   the script varies much from what is above
> paste your script here.
>
>   If they are the same we need to figure out
> why killall5 is getting
> stuck on your system... I have seen this before

<snip>

Hi Mike,

I've been following the RH shutdown process this
morning.  An init 0 will cause
/etc/rc.d/init.d/halt to execute.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/halt has this section:
[ mind the wrap ]

runcmd $"Sending all processes the TERM
signal..." /sbin/killall5 -15
sleep 5
runcmd $"Sending all processes the KILL
signal..."  /sbin/killall5 -9

where runcmd is a function that prints the
"Sending..." msg to the console,
runs the killall5 cmd, and then
prints [ OK ] or [ FAILED ]

When I use 'shutdown -h now',
[for those times the system hangs]
the "Sending all processes the TERM signal..."
msg is printed,
the "[ OK ]" is printed, and the system hangs.
I do NOT see "Sending all processes the KILL
signal..."

So, I think your description is exactly right.

Yesterday afternoon I tried "shutdown -h now" 5
times in a row.
Here's a paste from my last msg yesterday:

# ----- start paste

shutdown seems normal.
ends with 'System halted'.
I do a physical power off (holding button for 1-2
seconds) and see more text briefly and then
bootup.

I repeat the above and the system hangs at
"Sending processes the TERM signal...".  physical
power off.

[ please note, I'm aware of the 5 second delay
after "Sending...".  I've always waited at least
a minute; sometimes as long as 30 minutes. Once
it's past the 5 sec delay, it's fully hung. ]

I repeat the above and system ends with "System
halted".  A quick power button press yields a
brief screen of text and then the system is off.

I repeat the above and the system hangs at
"Sending processes the TERM signal...".  physical
power off.

I repeat the above and system ends with "System
halted".  A quick power button press yields a
brief screen of text and then the system reboots.

[ this is clearly inconsistent, but why? ]

# ----- end paste

Today I tried again:

1. "Sending...", "[ OK ]", hang, physically power
off.

2. "Sending...", "[ OK ]", 5 seconds,
"Sending...KILL...", more shutdown actions,
"power down", push pwr button, reboot.

3. "Sending...", "[ OK ]", hang, physically power
off.

4. "Sending...", "[ OK ]", 5 seconds,
"Sending...KILL...", more shutdown actions,
"power down", push pwr button, reboot.

5. "Sending...", "[ OK ]", 5 seconds,
"Sending...KILL...", more shutdown actions,
"power down", shutdown.

6. "Sending...", "[ OK ]", hang, physically power
off.

7. "Sending...", "[ OK ]", 5 seconds,
"Sending...KILL...", more shutdown actions,
"power down", black screen, reboot

8. "Sending...", "[ OK ]", hang, physically power
off.

The quotes are what the system is printing, the
rest is my description.  What should I do now?

Thanks,
Jim