[vox-tech] python: slicing extensions from file names

David Hummel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:47:37 -0700

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 09:31:13AM -0700, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> The only things I *really* wish I could get with Perl is: I wish it
> had exceptions,

Perl does have exception handling via eval.  You can eval your block or
expression, and then check $@ for the exception.

> and I wish I could choose the strength of the typing (obviously, I
> could write ties which would ensure correct values, but...). Both of
> these will be introduced satisfactorily in Perl 6, I believe.

Yes, I believe type declarations (int, num, str) will be included in
Perl 6.

David Hummel
Genomics & Gene Discovery
WRRC/ARS/USDA